Tuesday, May 3, 2005

Fevered About Fundamentalists


I'll confess that much about what passes for political discourse coming from the left these days confounds me. I've written about my disappointment with the Democratic party's lack of participation in the Social Security debate, I think their filibustering to distort the senate's advice and consent role is wrong, and their intransigence in moving the country forward has been frustrating. That said, I understand that the Dems are the minority party, and are putting forth a loyal opposition as is their right and obligation under our two party system. I may not agree with their positions and tactics, but I can understand why they do such things.

There is, however, one thing that I am at a total loss to explain. When it comes to the Christian Right in this country, the left has come totally unhinged. Beyond opposing the agenda of the Christian Right, the left has gone on a scare campaign that is unlike anything I have ever seen in politics during my lifetime. Perhaps the best example of this phenomena was in the letters to the editor section of Sunday's NYT. A fevered letter writer, who I will not name, stated in part:

"If we (her husband and herself) had children, I would not want the Republicans or any of their agents telling my children what church to belong to or what beliefs to hold. The last time I looked, we were not in Iran."

Stanley Kurtz in yesterday's NRO writes further about this issue that seems to be occupying increasing amounts of the left's time and rhetoric. Feel free to follow the link over there, this is really bizarre stuff.

May I ask what in the world these folks are talking about? Lets take our letter writer above. When exactly has any Republican proposed that we should have an official religion, or an official set of beliefs? I believe the correct answer is never.

In fact, if I am not mistaken the left often accuses the Republicans of being taken over by the neocons, which has often been used as a not so subtle code word for "Jews". Further, the greatest public supporters of the new pope and the Catholic church in general have been on the conservative side of the political spectrum. This is not to say the left doesn't support these religions, or is not religious itself, but rather to make the point that before we conservatives decide what faith we'll force on folks, it might be a good idea for us to agree on one for ourselves.

Kurtz's article exposes more conspiracy writings from the left about this issue and does an excellent job at pointing out just how unhinged our liberal friends have become in some sectors. The question I have is why? If I didn't know better, I'd wonder if the CIA was starting electric Koolaid tests again (come to think of it, I don't know better).

My guess is that the real reason is because the left is becoming concerned about the real gains politically that Christian conservatives have made over the last two decades. After twenty years of pushing the U.S. to embrace secularism, which started out with a right minded desire to encourage the acceptance of all religions but somehow morphed into freedom from religion, the left is now witnessing the inevitable return of the pendulum to the center. This is of great concern to the left, because in my view they seem to believe that their strength lies in the supremacy of government and it's institutions over religions and their various beliefs.

Christian conservatives, rightly in my view, reject this fully secular approach as it de-links our law from it's religious and theological underpinnings and completes the subtle transfer of the source of human rights and liberty from a supreme being, to the Government itself. Once the Government is the ultimate source of power, those that believe in the government's righteousness - typically members of the left - have control of our lives.

So the Christian right is attempting to take back ground that they lost to the left. This is healthy for our society and religious conservatives should not be demonized because of their beliefs. They have a right to express their opinions and make their influence known through the ballot box.

All Americans would do well to remember the words of George Washington who said in his farewell address, "Religion and morality are essential props. In vain does that man claim the praise of patriotism who labors to subvert or undermine these great pillars of human happiness" Posted by Hello

No comments:

Post a Comment