Saturday, June 3, 2006

This Weekend's Rockin' Tune: The Dandys


I first heard The Dandy Warhols in the late '90's when their rockin little diddy, "Not if You Were The Last Junkie On Earth" came to my attention. They reminded me a little of "My Bloody Valentine" with maybe a slightly cooler, poppier, sound. Last Junkie was a great tune with an alternative sound, a pop sensibility and the catchy refrain, "herion is so passe"; I mean who couldn't like a song with that killer combination?

While this weekend's tune, "Bohemian Like You" is not necessarily my fave song by these guys, it is the one that I seem to always come back to. Although I am not unaware of its rich satirical take on the boho's, it does in many ways remind me of my college years when I was a rock and roll fool stranded in the Izod obsessed Greek culture of IU. Thank goodness B-Town with it's hippy holdouts and great music at The Bluebird (although looking at their website today, it appears they've gone a bit more upscale since I was last there) were there as a life raft of sanity. Not that things were all that bad; afterall, being the lone stalwart holding out against Docksiders and up turned Polo collars did attract a certain sort of female........

Whoa, we almost had to cue the dream sequence music there!

In the last few years I haven't heard much from these guys so I don't know if they're still in business. I'll go surf around and see what I can find out and you can stay here and give the Dandys a listen. While you're listening consider this; who else could pull off using the words "dig" and "pad" and still sound cool in the late '90's?

Even if they didn't really mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment