Thursday, February 16, 2006

Thursday Night Wine Blogging

Cherries, some blueberry and vanilla.

I just popped the cork on tonight's selection a 2002 Pasquera Tinto Ribera del Duero. Heavy floral scent filled the room immediately and I can still smell it. The wine itself was a little tight on opening but has that lasting mouth that the previous to Tempranillo selections had.

Off the bat I'd say this wine is better than last week's, although it is a year younger, and it has the potential to be as good as the Rijoa of two weeks ago.

It's been open about 10 minutes now, lets try another sip. The previous two weeks I tasted smoke, tobacco, fruit and some menthol. Not so tonight. There is definately fruit, but instead of smoke, I taste a bit more earth, and perhaps some cedar. Oh, and there is vanilla out the wazoo. Especially in the lingering mouth the vanilla ultimately takes over and makes the mouth pucker a bit....in a good way.

Yes, I like this wine, and I'm beginning to think that Spain is going to be a whole lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment