Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Proud Father Weeps

Well, it is a banner day here at the Pursuit household! PD1, who has always been a fairly responsible kid who was prone to the temptations of People Maganzine, In-Style and the sort, has in the past 24 hours made a couple interesting statements. Last night, while driving back from soccer - a 90 minute ordeal that I should write about some time - PD1 mentioned to her mother that she is "kind of getting into these primaries".

Tonight, as I was sorting through the mail, I was treated to another of these statements.

"Dad"

"Yes?"

"Are you going to watch Celebrity Apprentice tonight?"

"Not sure - I hadn't really thought about it"

"Isn't there a debate tonight?"

"Yes, 90 minutes I think"

"Well, I'd like to see that if you don't mind"

Don't mind?! Man she must be kidding! See I'm still feeling guilty about Saturday night's four hour debate marathon (O'Bama lost btw), so there was no-way I was going to inflict another of these tortureous (apols to Sully) on the family. But here she is literally asking to watch it! Republicans too!

Oh, I hold no fantasies here. For example, I am well aware (although she doesn't realize that I know) that she has a small infatuation with O'Bama. Who cares! She is young, foolish and must suffer the ills of some bad decisions before the true light of truth will shine on her and inform her life. I'm just happy that this will occur on my watch, so I can help her through the inevitable let down of the man from Illinois.

The good news is that her principles, the things that will ultimately drive her life, are fundamentally conservative. This grounding will serve her well when, in the next election she will be fully conversant in the views of the WSJ, National Review, Foreign Affairs and Reason.

I love it when a plan comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment