Saturday, May 14, 2005

A Note From Mrs. Pursuit

For those of you who are regulars, Mr. Pursuit is currently enjoying the manly pursuits of fishing, wine tasting, trap shooting and perhaps indulging in a few cigars - the good life. I, Mrs Pursuit am here with our daughters, enjoying another sort of good life.

I don't want to sound cliche on my first blog, but isn't the good life what you make it. Too much any more I think we all look for the instant gratification. I know it's an over used phrase but it describes a phenomenon that I personally worry about. What happens to the work ethic when expectations are for immediate success? What happens to the concept of learning through hard work and grit?

I watch a whole generation used to television, cell phones and PC's. They are entirely more prepared for commerce. They are entirely more adaptable and understand much more about the world than I did at this age, but I wonder about their values. Nothing seems firm. Everything is situational. People are no longer responsible. They are victims of their own life. Is this the a direct result of the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Personally, I think NOT!

We have confused rights and entitlements. We have the opportunity to succeed if we try hard and we shape our life. We are not entitled by virtue of our existence to much of anything. We are plunged into circumstances from which we must shape our lives. There is no wallowing in circumstance, only the pursuit of goals. There is seeking. There is trying. There is failure and there is growth. Happiness is the inner recognition that the journey no matter how complicated, no matter how bruised and battered has led to something. There is accomplishment. There is purpose.

Now try to teach that to a child - a child who has access to television. Turn the knob and out pops entertainment - instantly. AH - but this is part of my good life. It is hard and tedious. So much attention to detail but what greater pursuit than helping others - your own flesh and blood achieve a sense of self, a sense of purpose and an inner core that will guide them for life. Don't get me wrong. I am a working mother, with more interests that you can shake a stick at. But raising my children is the hardest most gratifying part of my life. It is truly the good life. If we do it right, they will fail, they will fall and they will falter. It will hurt to watch them. They will try and they will grow. They will never fear hard work and they will know the satisfaction of accomplishment not entitlement.

That for me is the good life. Every minute of every day. It is great to be alive. Work hard and celebrate the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment