Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Bill Bennett, Superman and My Drive To Work This Morning


The following is a comment I wrote to Lein Shory this evening. I ended up getting so distracted that I didn't have time to do that, write a post and write a letter to PD2, so you guys have to suffer a bit. I'm reposting my comment here, because to be completely honest, this story just cracks me up.




Lein,

I thought of your review this morning as I was driving to work. I happened to be listening to Bill Bennett when he and his listeners were discussing Superman. I guess there has been some talk about this Superman being gay, which aside from the whole trashing of another American icon thing, doesn't really surprise or bother me....I mean tights and a cape? Hello?

At any rate, one caller phoned in and was discussing how the super baby (they really have a super baby now?) proved that Superman was not gay. Of course Bennett pointed out that this was not definitive as anyone who has ever been on a bender can attest. Bennett then expressed concern that Superman did not marry the mother which we all know makes the super baby illegitimate. The caller reassured Bill that Superman did once marry Lois Lane, at the beginning of SM II, but then had to renig on the marriage to get his powers back so he could save the world. Apparently he kissed Lois so that she forgot about the whole marriage thing. Bennett correctly pointed out that this was the first time in history any woman has forgotten she was married.

At this point I'm just slack jawed in amazement....I mean I think these guys may have forgotten that Superman doesn't really exist. Which is when it began to get interesting. Bill kind of kept insisting that Superman really should marry Lois to make it all ok, even though they really are still married because you can't undo that sort of thing. The caller, God love him, suggested to Bill that even if they weren't really married it was ok, because Superman is an alien! Yup, and as an alien, if he isn't exactly the marryin' kind, well that's ok because it "will take him some time to adjust to our earthly customs".

True story.

Me? Well I just think this is another good example of how illegal immigration is destroying this country!

Dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment